Friday, June 29, 2012

Al Rempel (The Picket Fence Diaries) has a birthday today

Al has agreed to participate in Seven of the Proust Questionnaire to help us celebrate his birthday.


1.What is your idea of happiness?

To be content with what I have and with where I am; to love and to be loved.


2.What is your favourite virtue?

Loyalty and integrity is number one. The ability to see the good in someone else. Warmth and openness and  a non-judgemental nature. The ability to ignore the question that is posed and to answer the one hiding behind. [Actually Al there are three favourites here but because they are all good virtues they are included]


3.What is your biggest weakness?

I’m an avoider of conflicts – which often backfires.


4.Who are your favourite poets?

I try to read as much poetry as I can – about half an hour a day – both online and in print, and poetry that goes beyond what I ‘get’ or what is similar to mine or what I like. I wouldn’t say I have any favourites though. Eliot, Blake, & Hopkins were early influences. Emily Carr (not the BC painter) and Gillian Jerome both gave me permission – through their work – to try new things with my own writing. I try to learn from everything I read.


5.Who are your favourite heroes and heroines in history?

I’d be happy to do away with this notion when it involves putting people on a pedestal, idolizing them, and ignoring their humanity. There are people who do many good things in this world without notice; there are people who do a great thing when called on, when the ‘time is ripe’. I really can’t distinguish between one and the other.


6. What do you most dislike?

Entropy gets me down. Especially if it involves an expensive broken mechanical part. People with large egos or who are hateful and negative. When a driver won’t signal before turning in front of me.


7. What is your motto?

I often find myself saying to no one in particular: “One thing at a time”. It makes me feel like I have some control of the situation.

No comments:

Lipstick Press is not publishing books now

Dear Poets Sorry to let you know we have not been publishing chapbooks since 2010. We did some online publishing - mainly for social iss...